Bain Shared Services believes that shared services are one of the most powerful ways a company can leverage its talent, expertise, and scale to achieve profitable growth. We work with companies around the world to transform their shared services into a strategic asset and capture the full benefits—higher growth, lower cost, and a simpler organization.
The Bain Difference:
Bain Shared Services' proprietary Share Smarter, Serve Better approach was forged over 500 cases worldwide across a range of industries and functions, including Sales & Marketing, Customer Service, Supply Chain, Procurement, R&D, and G&A.
Bain Shared Services has deep experience helping companies transform their shared services, including in the context of operating model redesign, cost transformation, zero-based budgeting, and post-merger integration. Bain’s Share Smarter, Serve Better approach starts by clarifying the company’s operating model to ensure shared services, business units, and corporate work seamlessly together. In turn, it sets a multi-year vision for shared services and scans the enterprise to identify the best opportunities to leverage talent, expertise, and scale. The power of digital is unlocked to perform the work faster, smarter, and more efficiently, and the service delivery model is operated in a customer-centric way anchored in NPS. The result: accelerated top-line growth, 20-40% savings, and a simpler, more nimble organization.
We could always count on Bain Shared Services to deliver as well as take a leadership role where needed. We considered them as part of our team, and they met and exceeded all expectations.
- VP, industrial goods company
Bain Shared Services Toolkit:
Bain Shared Services focuses on five areas:
- Operating model to define how shared services, business units, and corporate will work seamlessly together. This step aligns the c-suite, front-line managers, and functional leaders on a common view of the company's operating model.
- Multi-year vision to define how shared services will align with the company's strategic priorities, create value for customers internally and externally, and expand scope over time.
- Share Smarter to identify the best opportunities to leverage talent, expertise, and scale across the enterprise in Sales & Marketing, Customer Service, Supply Chain, Procurement, R&D, and G&A.
- Serve Better to design a shared services delivery model that spans the globe—including captive and outsourced locations—and operates in a customer-centric way, using NPS to capture feedback and continuously improve.
- Results Delivery®, Bain's proprietary approach to change management, to help predict, measure and manage the risk associated with change.
Benefits of Shared Services:
Bain Shared Services delivers three benefits to the company:
Higher growth, including better market intelligence, faster product launch and entry into new markets, higher price realization, faster M&A integration, and higher customer advocacy
Lower cost, including 20-40% savings in wages, infrastructure, and vendor spend and more efficient processes with higher quality and fewer errors
A simpler organization, including fewer shared services locations and streamlined management, more dedicated, high value business partner roles, and more time for GMs to focus on serving customer needs
Bain Shared Services has achieved significant results for many clients:
- Designed and implemented a Global Business Services (GBS) model for a high technology company with 60-country footprint amidst cultural resistance to centralization. Developed and ran a 2-year transformation program.
- Designed and implemented a hybrid captive/outsourced shared services model spanning the globe for a medical device company. Scope included R&D, Quality, Finance, HR, and IT.
- Led post-merger integration of 100,000 employees for two consumer products companies. Integrated two sets of shared service organizations across Finance, HR, and IT and exited from non-strategic outsourcing contracts.
- Led a shared services transformation for a pharmaceutical company, including a new strategy to consolidate fragmented work and significantly lower the cost of operations.
Our leadership team
In addition to the leadership team below, we have an extensive and diverse group of experts ready to serve the needs of clients worldwide.