John McCreery is a partner in Bain & Company's Houston office. He is a leader in Bain's Oil & Gas practice.
He has more than 20 years of professional experience in the global oil and gas industry.
John specializes in the development of strategy and performance improvement in the oil and gas sector with a particular focus on exploration and production, LNG and midstream. He has led multiple assignments with all tiers of the industry, including governments, national oil companies (NOCs), international oil companies (IOCs), oil field services and strategic investors from private equity and sovereign wealth funds. Specifically, he has worked on capital productivity, major project operating model and capability assignments with a range of clients.
John has applied his industry and consulting expertise globally, having worked in Asia Pacific, the Americas, Europe and the Middle East.
Before he became a consultant, John worked for Shell International Exploration & Production in the UK, North Sea and Sultanate of Oman. He occupied a number of roles in oil and gas field development, where he led major projects and business planning.
Outside of Bain, John is a member of the Society of Petroleum Engineers and a regular contributor to oil and gas industry events and forums.
John holds a BSc (honors) in engineering and management from Durham University, UK.
- “How Digital Improves Management Systems in Oil and Gas,” Etude, 15 août 2018
- “How Shale Companies Can Transform to Survive,” Etude, 29 mars 2016
- “Capital Productivity for Oil and Gas in a Low-Price Environment,” Etude, 25 novembre 2015
- “John McCreery: Adopting a More Strategic Approach to Procurement in Oil and Gas,” Video, 28 octobre 2015
- “Adopting a More Strategic Approach to Procurement in Oil and Gas,” Etude, 16 septembre 2015