Bain is committed to the environment and reducing the footprint of our business operations by:
1. Identifying, measuring and offsetting the environmental impact of our global operations
- We are proud to be recertified as 100% CarbonNeutral® in 2017 for the sixth year in a row. CarbonNeutral® certification is achieved when an entity, product or activity has reduced emissions to net zero in accordance with The CarbonNeutral Protocol.
- We pursue higher-than-required standards and offset all of our emissions, ranging from client travel to electricity usage and waste generation.
- In 2018 we received a gold rating from EcoVadis, the leading platform for environmental, social and ethical performance ratings for global supply chains. This rating puts Bain & Company among the top 5% of companies rated by EcoVadis, which monitors supplier practices across 150 purchasing categories and 110 countries on behalf of its 30,000 global partners.
2. Reducing our impact on the environment through local operations initiatives
- Bain Green Teams across the globe work to reduce our carbon footprint, where possible, and promote sustainable consumption.
- We are dedicated to reducing energy consumption and waste generation as a result of our business operations, by implementing use of smart lights and recyclable materials in our offices.
3. Seeking to minimize pollution and use natural resources sustainably
- We strive for sustainable usage of natural resources like air, water and land, while ensuring minimal impact on the quality of these resources.
4. Maintaining full compliance with applicable environmental laws, regulations and other obligations
- On certain issues where we have more stringent internal requirements, we operate to even higher standards than what is required by law.
Bain also strives to help our corporate clients be better stewards of the environment—integrating sustainability goals and priorities into their core strategy and operations, designing "greener" supply chains and meeting needs of a range of stakeholders, including suppliers, employees and community members.
Since 2000, we have worked on approximately 300 sustainability projects across all geographies, helping our corporate clients identify opportunities and develop robust business cases to make sustainability a source of ongoing and increasing value. Our teams specialize in a few key areas:
- Sustainability strategy: We help companies factor the full range of social, environmental and economic issues into strategy development and execution.
- Sustainable operations: We work to optimize use of natural resources with emphasis on supply chain efficiency initiatives and circular economics, and supply security and resilience through socially and environmentally responsible practices.
- Sustainability in investing: We help investors, including private equity firms, sovereign wealth funds, investment funds and family offices, pursue a range of options that account for environmental, social and governance criteria.
- Change management: We help companies identify barriers to change and deliver breakthrough results in sustainability.
Our passion for sustainability also extends to our work with nonprofit sector clients. We invest in pro bono consulting support for innovative and effective environmental nonprofits to help them reach full potential and drive transformative social impact:
- We have developed a deep relationship with The Nature Conservancy, the world’s leading conservation organization, and are expanding our expertise across a wide variety of environmental topics, from forestry to water conservation.
- Our investment in strategy work for environmental nonprofits is part of Bain’s larger commitment to invest $1 billion in pro bono consulting by 2025.