John McCreery is a partner in Bain & Company's Houston office. He is a leader in Bain's Oil & Gas practice.
He has more than 20 years of professional experience in the global oil and gas industry.
John specializes in the development of strategy and performance improvement in the oil and gas sector with a particular focus on exploration and production. He has worked with all tiers of the industry, including governments, national oil companies (NOCs), international oil companies (IOCs), oil field services and strategic investors from private equity and sovereign wealth funds.
John has applied his industry and consulting expertise globally, having worked in Asia Pacific, the Americas, Europe and the Middle East.
Before he became a consultant, John worked for Shell International Exploration & Production in the UK, North Sea and Sultanate of Oman. He occupied a number of roles in oil and gas field development, where he led major projects and business planning.
Outside of Bain, John is a member of the Society of Petroleum Engineers and a regular contributor to oil and gas industry events and forums.
John holds a BSc (honors) in engineering and management from Durham University, UK.
- “How Digital Improves Management Systems in Oil and Gas,” Brief, 15.08.2018
- “How Shale Companies Can Transform to Survive,” Brief, 29.03.2016
- “Capital Productivity for Oil and Gas in a Low-Price Environment,” Brief, 25.11.2015
- “Adopting a More Strategic Approach to Procurement in Oil and Gas,” Brief, 16.09.2015
- “Operational Excellence: Maintaining Focus in a Time of Oil Price Volatility,” Brief, 27.05.2015