Michael C. Mankins is a partner in Bain & Company's San Francisco office and a leader in the firm's Organization practice. He is also a senior member of Bain's Strategy practice. Much of his work has focused on the strategic and organizational initiatives that drive performance and long-term value.
With more than 25 years of consulting experience, Michael has advised business leaders in a wide range of industries, including automotive, aerospace, chemicals, diversified manufacturing, energy, media, technology and financial services.
Michael is co-author of Time, Talent, Energy: Overcome Organizational Drag & Unleash Your Team’s Productive Power, released by Harvard Business Review Press in March 2017. Time, Talent, Energy presents Bain research and case studies on how companies can liberate unproductive time, deploy and team talent, and unlock the discretionary energy of its workforce to improve productivity and financial performance.
Michael's writings and ideas have appeared in Harvard Business Review, Wall Street Journal, Financial Times and other publications. He is a co-author of Decide & Deliver: Five Steps to Breakthrough Performance in Your Organization (HBRP, 2010) and The Value Imperative: Managing for Superior Shareholder Returns (Free Press, 1994). In 2006, Consulting Magazine named Michael one of the year's "top 25 most influential consultants."
Michael holds a BS in economics from University of Kentucky (summa cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa honors) and an MBA from Wharton School (with distinction and Beta Gamma Sigma honors).
Michael serves on the Board of Directors of the Children’s Creativity Museum in San Francisco as well as the National Association of Urban Debate Leagues.
- “What U.S. CEOs Should Do with the Money from Corporate Tax Cuts,” HBR.org, febrero 01, 2018, Article
- “Five Ways the Best Companies Close the Strategy-Execution Gap,” HBR.org, noviembre 20, 2017, Article
- “Summary of Time, Talent, Energy,” EBSCO Book Summaries, septiembre 28, 2017, Article
- “How Leading Companies Build the Workforces They Need to Stay Ahead,” HBR.org, septiembre 06, 2017, Article
- “Leaders Can Boost Performance By Slashing Meetings And Focusing Talent On Critical Areas,” Forbes, julio 04, 2017