Since joining Bain in 1988, Sam has worked around the world and holds extensive experience across consumer products, agribusiness and M&A. He was the global leader of our M&A and Divestitures practice for many years and is co-author of “Mastering the Merger,” published by the Harvard Business Review.
Both at the firm and other companies he has led, Sam consistently strives to develop the next generation of leaders.
For 10 of the last 13 years, he worked as a senior executive for multiple food companies, including as CEO of Swift & Co.; EVP of Strategy for Kraft Foods; President of Planters; President of Oscar Mayer/Lunchables; and CEO of CTI Foods. While leading strategy for Kraft, he designed and co-led the separation of Kraft and Mondelez.
Sam has been an independent board member at Buffalo Wild Wings, Packer Sanitation Services, Inc. and MRC Global, the leading global distributor of industrial pipe, valves and fittings.
He holds an MBA from Harvard University, an MALD in military strategy from the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy and a BA in Public Policy from Duke University.
- “Shaping the consumer of the future: Behavior shifts that will outlast the crisis,” Press release, septiembre 30, 2020
- “Shaping the Consumer of the Future ,” Brief, septiembre 23, 2020
- “How Agribusiness Will Weather the Covid-19 Storm,” Webinar, junio 26, 2020
- “Memo to Big Brands: It’s Too Soon to Write Off Insurgents,” Brief, mayo 15, 2020
- “The Demise of Insurgent Brands or the Silver Lining?,” Snap Chart, mayo 04, 2020