Debra (née Debbie) McCoy is a partner and our Global Lead for Capital Markets, Sustainability, & ESG. She rejoined Bain in 2021 and is based in San Francisco.
Formerly, she worked for BlackRock where for six years she was a Managing Director and Head of Sustainable Investing for an active investing team that manages more approximately $200bn. Her commitment to quantifying and incorporating the implications of environmental and societal considerations in fiduciary portfolios and business decisions led her to pursue roles in asset management, asset allocation, consumer and institutional banking, academia, and strategy – and brought her back to Bain, where she started her career.
Debra initially worked for Bain after graduating from Howard University, summa cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa. She later earned an MBA from Harvard Business School, where she was a Toigo Fellow. Debra has responsibilities on multiple boards and advisory groups, including the Board of Governors of the San Francisco Symphony and Technoserve’s Global Advisory Council. She is a member of the Council on Foreign Relations. In addition, Debra worked at the U.S. Department of State for one year after receiving a non-partisan appointment from the President of the United States to serve as a White House Fellow.
- “Meeting the Needs of Capital and Energy Markets,” Energy & Natural Resources Report, junio 14, 2022, Report
- “Limited Partners and Private Equity Firms Embrace ESG ,” Report, febrero 17, 2022
- “Closing the ESG Measurement Gap in Private Equity,” Infographic, enero 12, 2022
- “After COP26: Now, the Hard Part,” Article, noviembre 16, 2021
In the News
- “Startups promise to track emissions — how well is unclear,” Axios, marzo 22, 2022
- “Bain Appoints Debbie McCoy as Partner in its Sustainability & Corporate Responsibility Practice,” ESG Today, junio 08, 2021
- “Artificial intelligence is transforming a $22.9 trillion investing strategy – but the cutting-edge technology comes with a new set of problems,” Business Insider, enero 30, 2019