James Allen is a senior partner in Bain & Company's London office. He formerly led Bain's Global Strategy practice, is the founder of the firm's Customer Strategy & Marketing practice and is a member of the European Consumer Products and Technology practices. In addition, he leads Bain's Developing Market 100 initiative.
James is a recognized leading expert in developing global corporate and business unit strategy. With more than 25 years of consulting experience, he has worked extensively for multinational companies in consumer products, oil and gas, technology and telecommunications, healthcare, and other industries. He advises clients on the development of global growth strategies, emerging market entry strategies and turnaround strategies.
James published his third book, The Founder's Mentality (Harvard Business Review Press), in 2016. The Founder's Mentality examines how founder-led companies successfully scale without losing their entrepreneurial spirit.
He has also authored several best-selling books on the topic of growth with Harvard Business Review Press, including Repeatability: Build Enduring Businesses for a World of Constant Change (2012) and Profit from the Core: a Return to Growth in Turbulent Times (2010), an updated edition of his 2001 book, Profit from the Core: Growth Strategy in an Era of Turbulence. In addition, James has written numerous articles with Harvard Business Review Press and other business publications.
He speaks at many conferences on growth strategy and is quoted frequently on the subject in international and local business media outlets.
James joined Bain in Boston in 1989, transferring to Moscow in 1991 to lead Bain's emerging Russian practice and relocating to London in 1995 to head the office's Consumer Products and Strategy practices. He has served two terms on Bain's board of directors.
James earned an MBA from the Harvard Business School.
- “Have We Hit Peak Profits?,” Report, julio 10, 2020
- “A New Social Contract: Talent in a Post-Covid-19 World,” Founder's Mentality Blog, junio 01, 2020, Article
- “A New Social Contract: Planning in a Post-Covid-19 World,” Founder's Mentality Blog, mayo 25, 2020, Article
- “A New Social Contract: Middle Management in a Post-Covid-19 World ,” Founder's Mentality Blog, mayo 18, 2020, Article
- “The Power-Up Sequence: Addressing the Organizational Costs of Covid-19 Lockdown,” Founder's Mentality Blog, mayo 11, 2020, Article