James Root is a partner and director with Bain & Company, based in Hong Kong.
He has almost 30 years of experience across Europe, North America and Asia Pacific. He focuses on corporate transformations involving strategy, cost management, operational improvement and organizational effectiveness.
James has served as managing partner of Bain New York from 2003 to 2009, as the leader of the Asia Pacific Organization practice from 2009 to 2017, and as chairman of Bain's Nominating Committee. He currently serves as chairman of Bain Insights Group, a global think-tank working on the client implications of coming trends.
James has written extensively in the business press, from Harvard Business Review to The Wall Street Journal, on topics of branding, international expansion, growth strategy and the Firm of the Future. He has been a guest on TV and radio, including CNN, CNBC and Bloomberg.
During a leave of absence, James was co-founder, board director and president of a business process outsourcing firm based in Malaysia, serving multinationals across Asia Pacific, where he was responsible for the company's business operations.
He is an Adjunct Professor on the faculty at Hong Kong University of Science & Technology, where he teaches programs for the MBAs and Kellogg-HKUST Executive MBAs.
James has a BA from Cambridge and an MBA from London Business School.
- “From Shareholder Primacy to Scale Insurgency,” Article, agosto 30, 2019
- “Scale vs. Intimacy,” Article, agosto 28, 2019
- “Is the Professional Management System Broken?,” Article, mayo 08, 2019
- “Becoming a Scale Insurgent,” Article, marzo 25, 2019
- “2018 China Leadership Report: Updated Insights for Talent Seekers,” Report, diciembre 12, 2018