Hugh MacArthur is the leader of our Global Private Equity practice, based in Boston. He helped found the practice 25 years ago and works with a variety of private equity funds and alternative asset managers, including traditional buyout firms, hedge funds, infrastructure and real estate funds, distressed debt funds, sovereign wealth funds, venture capital firms and banks.
Working with these investment firms, Hugh has led assignments on asset class strategy, geographic footprint, fund operations, organizational effectiveness, fund raising, investment deal generation, strategic due diligence and portfolio company improvement. He has advised funds in the US, Europe, India and Asia, and has worked on hundreds of deals in leveraged buyout, restructuring assignments and merger integration.
Hugh has authored frequently on private equity value creation, state of the industry, and other related topics in publications around the globe, including The Wall Street Journal, The Financial Times, The Economic Times of India, China Daily, Forbes, and London Business School’s Business Strategy Review. He is also the author of the book Lessons from Private Equity Any Company Can Use, published by Harvard Business Press in January of 2008.
Hugh is also the host of Bain & Company’s Dry Powder: The Private Equity Podcast, in which he interviews leading experts on the trends and opportunities that will redefine the private equity industry.
Hugh earned a master of science degree from the MIT Sloan School of Management. Prior to attending MIT, he worked in consulting and in mergers and acquisitions in New York and London. Hugh is also a graduate of Dartmouth College, where he earned an AB in history.
Dry Powder: The Private Equity Podcast
- “ESG at the Tipping Point: From Measurement to Management ,” Dry Powder: The Private Equity Podcast, 27.04.2022 , Podcast
- “Inflation as a Catalyst for Change,” Article, 25.04.2022
- “Forget the Standard Inflation Playbook,” Article, 25.04.2022
- “ESG at the Tipping Point: From Awareness to Action,” Dry Powder: The Private Equity Podcast, 20.04.2022 , Podcast
- “Takeaways from Bain’s 2022 Asia-Pacific Private Equity Report,” Webinar, 07.04.2022
In the News
- “Private equity reached new heights in 2021 as average deal size pushed past the $1 billion mark for the first-time ever,” Press release, 07.03.2022
- “Bain's Hugh MacArthur sees resilience in private markets ,” WSJ Pro Private Equity, 10.01.2022 , Прямые инвестиции
- “OPEXEngine joins Bain & Company to boost operational benchmarking capabilities for software companies,” Press release, 15.09.2021
- “Bain & Company acquires Tech Economy to enhance technology due diligence capabilities,” Press release, 14.06.2021
- “Bain Feature: 8 charts on the global private equity deals landscape,” Consultancy.uk, 19.04.2021 , Прямые инвестиции