Hugh MacArthur is a director in the Boston office and head of Bain’s Global Private Equity practice. He helped found the practice 15 years ago, and works with a variety of private equity funds and alternative asset managers, including traditional buyout firms, hedge funds, infrastructure and real estate funds, distressed debt funds, sovereign wealth funds, venture capital firms and banks.
Working with these investment firms, Hugh has led assignments on asset class strategy, geographic footprint, fund operations, organizational effectiveness, fund raising, investment deal generation, strategic due diligence and portfolio company improvement. He has advised funds in the US, Europe, India and Asia, and has worked on hundreds of deals in leveraged buyout, restructuring assignments and merger integration.
Hugh has authored frequently on private equity value creation, state of the industry, and other related topics in publications around the globe, including The Wall Street Journal, The Financial Times, The Economic Times of India, China Daily, Forbes, and London Business School’s Business Strategy Review. He is also the author of the book Lessons from Private Equity Any Company Can Use, published by Harvard Business Press in January of 2008.
Hugh is also the host of Bain & Company’s Dry Powder: The Private Equity Podcast, in which he interviews leading experts on the trends and opportunities that will redefine the private equity industry.
Hugh earned a master of science degree from the MIT Sloan School of Management. Prior to attending MIT, he worked in consulting and in mergers and acquisitions in New York and London. Hugh is also a graduate of Dartmouth College, where he earned an AB in history.
Dry Powder: The Private Equity Podcast
- “Faster, Better, Cheaper—and Greener?,” Dry Powder: The Private Equity Podcast, September 2020, Podcast
- “Private Equity Must Adapt to Thrive in Post–Covid-19 World,” WSJ Pro Private Equity, August 2020, Article
- “Private Equity Midyear Update,” Webinar, July 2020
- “Private Equity Takes a Midyear Bounce off the Bottom,” Report, July 2020
- “The Midyear Private Equity Report in Brief,” Dry Powder: The Private Equity Podcast, July 2020, Podcast
In the News
- “Industrial PE to reassess supply chain as pandemic reveals vulnerabilities ,” PE Hub, April 2020, Private Equity
- “Private equity ready to open M&A war chest ,” The Australian, March 2018, Private Equity
- “Bain & Company's MacArthur Says M&A Is Hot,” Bloomberg, February 2018, Private Equity
- “Fortune Term Sheet: The state of private equity,” Fortune , February 2018, Private Equity
- “Bain & Co: Undervalued assets harder to find,” CNBC, February 2018, Private Equity