Hugh MacArthur is a director in the Boston office and head of Bain’s Global Private Equity practice. He helped found the practice 15 years ago, and works with a variety of private equity funds and alternative asset managers, including traditional buyout firms, hedge funds, infrastructure and real estate funds, distressed debt funds, sovereign wealth funds, venture capital firms and banks.
Working with these investment firms, Hugh has led assignments on asset class strategy, geographic footprint, fund operations, organizational effectiveness, fund raising, investment deal generation, strategic due diligence and portfolio company improvement. He has advised funds in the US, Europe, India and Asia, and has worked on hundreds of deals in leveraged buyout, restructuring assignments and merger integration.
Hugh has authored frequently on private equity value creation, state of the industry, and other related topics in publications around the globe, including The Wall Street Journal, The Financial Times, The Economic Times of India, China Daily, Forbes, and London Business School’s Business Strategy Review. He is also the author of the book Lessons from Private Equity Any Company Can Use, published by Harvard Business Press in January of 2008.
Hugh is also the host of Bain & Company’s Dry Powder: The Private Equity Podcast, in which he interviews leading experts on the trends and opportunities that will redefine the private equity industry.
Hugh earned a master of science degree from the MIT Sloan School of Management. Prior to attending MIT, he worked in consulting and in mergers and acquisitions in New York and London. Hugh is also a graduate of Dartmouth College, where he earned an AB in history.
Dry Powder: The Private Equity Podcast
- “Implications for Healthcare Private Equity Investors in Europe,” Webinar, 2020年5月27日
- “Lessons from China’s Reopening: The Micro View,” Dry Powder: The Private Equity Podcast, 2020年5月21日, Podcast
- “Lessons from China’s Reopening: The Macro View,” Dry Powder: The Private Equity Podcast, 2020年5月19日, Podcast
- “Implications for Fintech and Payments Private Equity Investors,” Webinar, 2020年5月19日
- “Covid-19 Hits Private Equity: The Early Data Is Not Pretty,” 論説, 2020年5月15日