Hugh MacArthur is a director in the Boston office and head of Bain’s Global Private Equity practice. He helped found the practice 25 years ago and works with a variety of private equity funds and alternative asset managers, including traditional buyout firms, hedge funds, infrastructure and real estate funds, distressed debt funds, sovereign wealth funds, venture capital firms and banks.
Working with these investment firms, Hugh has led assignments on asset class strategy, geographic footprint, fund operations, organizational effectiveness, fund raising, investment deal generation, strategic due diligence and portfolio company improvement. He has advised funds in the US, Europe, India and Asia, and has worked on hundreds of deals in leveraged buyout, restructuring assignments and merger integration.
Hugh has authored frequently on private equity value creation, state of the industry, and other related topics in publications around the globe, including The Wall Street Journal, The Financial Times, The Economic Times of India, China Daily, Forbes, and London Business School’s Business Strategy Review. He is also the author of the book Lessons from Private Equity Any Company Can Use, published by Harvard Business Press in January of 2008.
Hugh is also the host of Bain & Company’s Dry Powder: The Private Equity Podcast, in which he interviews leading experts on the trends and opportunities that will redefine the private equity industry.
Hugh earned a master of science degree from the MIT Sloan School of Management. Prior to attending MIT, he worked in consulting and in mergers and acquisitions in New York and London. Hugh is also a graduate of Dartmouth College, where he earned an AB in history.
Dry Powder: The Private Equity Podcast
- “Global and European Private Equity Market Update,” Webinar, 2021년3월2일
- “Global Private Equity Market Update,” Webinar, 2021년3월2일
- “Have Classic Buyout Funds Run Their Course?,” Global Private Equity Report, 2021년3월1일, Report
- “The Private Equity Market in 2020: Escape from the Abyss,” Global Private Equity Report, 2021년3월1일, Report
- “Letter from Hugh MacArthur: There Is No New Normal,” Global Private Equity Report, 2021년3월1일, Report
In the News
- “Private Equity bounced back after initial Covid-19 shock; 2021 set to be a dynamic year for the industry,” Press release, 2021년3월1일
- “Bain & Company and CEPRES join forces to launch DealEdge,” Press release, 2020년10월5일
- “Bain & Company's Hugh MacArthur says private equity must adapt to thrive in post-COVID world,” WSJ Pro Private Equity, 2020년8월5일, 사모펀드
- “Industrial PE to reassess supply chain as pandemic reveals vulnerabilities ,” PE Hub, 2020년4월2일, 사모펀드
- “Private equity ready to open M&A war chest ,” The Australian, 2018년3월2일, 사모펀드