Hugh MacArthur is the leader of our Global Private Equity practice, based in Boston. He helped found the practice 25 years ago and works with a variety of private equity funds and alternative asset managers, including traditional buyout firms, hedge funds, infrastructure and real estate funds, distressed debt funds, sovereign wealth funds, venture capital firms and banks.
Working with these investment firms, Hugh has led assignments on asset class strategy, geographic footprint, fund operations, organizational effectiveness, fund raising, investment deal generation, strategic due diligence and portfolio company improvement. He has advised funds in the US, Europe, India and Asia, and has worked on hundreds of deals in leveraged buyout, restructuring assignments and merger integration.
Hugh has authored frequently on private equity value creation, state of the industry, and other related topics in publications around the globe, including The Wall Street Journal, The Financial Times, The Economic Times of India, China Daily, Forbes, and London Business School’s Business Strategy Review. He is also the author of the book Lessons from Private Equity Any Company Can Use, published by Harvard Business Press in January of 2008.
Hugh is also the host of Bain & Company’s Dry Powder: The Private Equity Podcast, in which he interviews leading experts on the trends and opportunities that will redefine the private equity industry.
Hugh earned a master of science degree from the MIT Sloan School of Management. Prior to attending MIT, he worked in consulting and in mergers and acquisitions in New York and London. Hugh is also a graduate of Dartmouth College, where he earned an AB in history.
Dry Powder: The Private Equity Podcast
- “Bonus: Inside Bain’s DEI Journey,” Dry Powder: The Private Equity Podcast, 21 septembre 2021, Podcast
- “Could Private Equity Accelerate DEI?,” Dry Powder: The Private Equity Podcast, 8 septembre 2021, Podcast
- “The Midyear Private Equity Report in Brief,” Dry Powder: The Private Equity Podcast, 3 août 2021, Podcast
- “Private Equity’s Wild First-Half Ride,” Etude, 21 juillet 2021
- “From Analytics to Advanced Analytics: A Conversation with Hg’s Nic Humphries,” Dry Powder: The Private Equity Podcast, 15 juillet 2021, Podcast
In the News
- “Les accords mondiaux atteignent près de 700 milliards de dollars depuis le début de l’année,” Bruxelles Marketing, 8 juillet 2021, Services Financiers