From brand perception to supply chain efficiency—not to mention pricing, product innovation and, of course, assessing customer needs and behaviors—consumer products companies confront a long list of things they must get right. Add retail consolidation, digitalization and the race to enter emerging markets, and the challenge intensifies. Bain has worked with 90% of the 25 largest global consumer products companies, completing thousands of projects over the past 10 years, helping to increase profits and build sustained value.
What We Do
What We Do
Bain works with consumer products companies around the world to:
- Design repeatable growth models and innovation pipelines that generate new products with higher potential and lower risks of failure
- Artfully manage brand portfolios—defining optimal brand and product portfolio roles, winning strategies, investment levels and profit expectations
- Accelerate brand growth, even in slow categories in developed markets, using the Bain Brand AcceleratorSM approach and leveraging our leading edge Bain Lighthouse℠ resource, which offers in-depth insights into actual shopper behaviors
- Optimize the strategy and execution of pricing and trade terms to help companies reach full potential
- Help turn supply chains into a competitive advantage with quick wins and bold strokes
- Become a true partner for retailers, adding value through sophisticated collaboration programs built on shopper insights, integrated supply chains, systems and data sharing
- Align, measure and provide frontline incentives for perfect sales execution
- Build a culture of continuous cost improvement, ensuring the organization measures and tracks true cost-to-serve in order to drive it down relentlessly over time
- Master mergers and acquisitions to gain a competitive advantage in target selection, valuation and integration—building additional scale and the resulting economic efficiencies
- Simplify, speed up and slim down operating models to maximize the effectiveness and efficiency of their organizations
- Create a talent pipeline to deliver growth expectations
Our clients include companies in the food, beverages, apparel, household products, luxury goods, beauty aids, personal care, toys and office products sectors.
How We Work
How We Work
We help consumer products companies become more successful by identifying where to focus to build the most value. We assist in accelerating brand and category growth, expanding into new markets or optimizing costs, to name just a few.
Our consumer products practitioners combine deep industry expertise and experience in all major regions and functional areas with proven proprietary approaches and rigorous fact-based analysis. Our Advanced Analytics and Big Data capabilities, as well as our Bain Lighthouse℠ resource, provide in-depth and distinctive insights on actual shopper behaviors.
In addition, Bain’s deep experience in the retail industry brings further perspective to our understanding of industry challenges and opportunities. Our teams collaborate with clients to develop common objectives, define roles and responsibilities, propose recommendations and implement practical solutions.