Bain & Company is the leading consulting partner to the private equity industry and its key stakeholders. We provide a full range of services across the investment life cycle, from deal generation to due diligence to portfolio value creation, exit planning and more. We maintain a global network of more than 1,000 experienced professionals serving private equity and institutional investor clients.
What We Do
In the past decade, Bain has advised on half of all buyout transactions worldwide valued at more than $500 million. And our work with private equity doesn’t stop with buyout funds. We work across fund types, including debt, infrastructure, real estate and hedge funds. We also work for many of the most prominent institutional investors, including sovereign wealth funds, pension funds, endowments and family investment offices. In fact, our practice is more than three times larger than that of the next-largest consulting firm serving private equity funds.
Our global network of more than 1,000 experienced professionals serves private equity and institutional investor clients in all regions of the world and across all major sectors—from consumer products and financial services to technology and industrial goods. Our expertise includes:
- Deal generation: We work alongside investors to develop the right investment thesis and enhance deal flow by profiling industries, screening targets and devising a plan to approach targets.
- Due diligence: We help investors make better deal decisions by performing due diligence, assessing revenue growth and cost-reduction opportunities to determine a target’s full potential, and providing a clear post-acquisition agenda.
- Portfolio value creation: Immediately after an acquisition, we support the pursuit of rapid returns by developing strategic blueprints for acquired companies, leading workshops that align management with strategic priorities and directing focused initiatives. During the ownership phase, we help increase the value of portfolio companies by supporting revenue enhancement and cost-reduction initiatives and refreshing their value-creation plans.
- Exit planning: We help ensure that investors maximize returns by preparing for exit, identifying the optimal exit strategy, preparing the selling documents and prequalifying buyers.
- Firm and sector strategies: Working jointly with private equity firms, we help them develop a tailored strategy for continued excellence, and sharpen their focus on specific industry sectors.
- Institutional investor strategy: We work with institutional investors to develop top-performing alternative investment programs, including private equity, real estate and infrastructure asset classes. We also help them expand their participation in alternative assets through coinvestment and direct investing opportunities.
Bain provides a full range of services to support private equity, financial investors and portfolio companies: