A consortium of mortgage banks had decided to join forces within an integrated holding company, Mortgage Holding*. The consortium expected significant synergies as a joint nationwide player. However, the individual mortgage banks within Mortgage Holding all had different technology platforms (e.g., custom vs. standard software) without any standardization for non-differentiating tech functions. Further, none of the legacy platforms addressed Mortgage Holding's requirements. We were asked to advise on the following issues:
- What technology strategy best fits Mortgage Holding's business strategy, both now and in the future?
- How can the company align different stakeholders to one common technology vision?
- How should the functional architecture be designed?
- Can standard software be leveraged?
- How can the new technology strategy be properly implemented?
We created a three-phase approach to develop and support the implementation of the technology strategy.
Through full alignment of business objectives with the new architecture and governance structure Mortgage Holding can better integrate bank processes, thus achieving efficiency and synergy.
Build standard software-based IT architecture:
- Consolidate core functional software modules across business lines
- Follow "one system" approach for system selection
- Migrate stepwise into target architecture based on sound integration architecture
Develop lean IT governance structure:
- Centralize IT management on holding level with holding CIO
- Entrust board IT council with governing IT investment decisions
- Hold CIO responsible for IT strategy design (incl. veto right) and execution
- Ensure direct link between business/IT along business lines
- Maintain transparent, open service provider relationship with internal holding mortgage loan processor or external service provider (ESP)
Design, agreement and successful implementation of a business-aligned technology strategy will generate approximately 40 million Euros in benefits.
* We take our clients' confidentiality seriously. While we've changed their names, the results are real.