The Building and Supporting Excellence (BASE) program is a foundational part of Bain's commitment to meet, hire and nurture the next generation of Black, Hispanic/Latinx, and/or Indigenous (Native American, Alaska Native, Inuit, Métis and First Nations) business leaders hosted in all our US and Toronto offices.
This program is for all Black, Hispanic/Latinx, and/or Indigenous (Native American, Alaska Native, Inuit, Métis and First Nations) pre-MBA students entering a full-time two-year MBA program in the fall who want to experience being a consultant regardless of prior business experience.
This 12-month journey is designed to help BASE Scholars navigate the course of their career from the start of their MBA program. Together we will support Scholars to:
- Design a career with intention: Take advantage of early access to Bain’s unparalleled training programs to set you up for success as you plan and define your career path
- Cultivate a circle of support: Build connections with Bain leaders who will invest in you and serve as mentors and advisors
- Experience our culture: Get to know Bain through authentic opportunities to experience our diverse and supportive culture
The BASE program is a launch pad for success long-term and includes:
BASE Camp: An in-person “week in the life” of a Bain consultant , including a full day of training followed by 3 days staffed to a real Bain team
A personal network of Bain mentors for business school and beyond
Membership in a diverse community of future business leaders
Ongoing and tailored professional development opportunities, coaching and support before, during, and after BASE camp
An opportunity to secure a 2024 Summer Associate offer before starting business school
Application deadline is Sunday, May 7th, 2023 at 11:59PM PST.
- BASE Camp will be the week of July 24th - July 28th or July 31st – August 4th
- If accepted into the BASE program, you will only attend one of these program weeks
Our BASE program is only available in our US and Toronto offices.
- Los Angeles
- New York
- San Francisco/Silicon Valley
- Washington, D.C.
BASE Camp itineraries will vary slightly by office, but participants can expect to experience:
- An introduction to the strategy consulting career and a chance to spend a ‘week-in-the-life’ of a Bain consultant
- The opportunity to tackle an important business issue, for a real Bain client, and present your findings to the Bain case team
- Mentorship from a consultant who will actively coach you
- Interactive trainings that teach you the business fundamentals and leadership skills
- 1:1 conversations with firm leadership
We encourage you to apply if you meet the following criteria:
- Identify as Black, Hispanic/Latinx and/or Indigenous (Native American, Alaska Native, Inuit, Métis and First Nations)
- Plan to start a full-time two-year MBA program in fall 2023
- Have an interest in joining any of Bain’s US or Toronto offices after business school
- Interviews are required to be considered for our BASE program and consist of two 40-minute case interviews. We will provide various resources during your preparation journey
- Candidates should also be prepared to answer a few experience questions about themselves and why they are interested in consulting and the BASE program
- Our hiring process is designed to get to know each other and is tailored to the pre-MBA experience
- Please apply on our website be considered for the BASE program
- Please note: This is a separate application from the ExperienceBain application
- Application requirements:
- A one to two-page business-format resume
- Recent test scores (GRE, GMAT, etc.), if applicable
- Bain office(s) of interest
- You can select up to three Bain offices that interest you the most
- When indicating office preferences in your application, please remember that successful participants will receive a Summer Associate offer from the office where they interviewed for the BASE program. For this reason, we ask that you apply only to the office(s) where you would happily accept a Summer Associate offer and where you see yourself long-term
Meet us at an event
We will host several events prior to BASE camp. This page will be updated on an ongoing basis. Hear from consultants, former BASE Scholars, firm leadership and the recruiting team on what it’s like to work at Bain or experience the BASE program.Find an event
Frequently asked questions
Do I need to be affiliated with MLT or Consortium to apply to BASE?
No, we encourage any pre-MBA recruits who identify as Black, Hispanic/Latinx and/or Indigenous to apply.
Will BASE Camp be in person?
Yes, BASE Camp is in person, and Bain will cover all travel-related expenses.
Can I apply to both BASE and ExperienceBain? How are they different?
Yes, we encourage you to apply for BASE and ExperienceBain. Both programs introduce consulting and Bain before starting business school, but they are different experiences.
BASE is a highly selective program open only to pre-MBA recruits identifying as Black, Hispanic/Latinx and/or Indigenous. The hallmark is our week-long immersive BASE Camp experience.
ExperienceBain is a larger program open to all incoming MBA students heading to select schools. It features a robust lineup of programming throughout the summer, including opportunities to learn about our DE&I initiatives and affinity groups.
As an international student, am I eligible for this paid program?
International students are eligible and welcome to apply to our program if they will be a student in the US (or have US work authorization). If you are applying to our Toronto office, please ensure you will be attending school in Canada or the US (or have Canadian work authorization).
We have had several international students participate in BASE. If you plan to study in the US with a student visa, please contact your international advisor at your career center to understand the stipulations surrounding your visa and potential program participation. The stipend for this program is optional.
If I am not selected for BASE, can I still apply to Bain in the future?
Absolutely, and we encourage it! BASE is a highly selective program. If you are not selected for BASE, we would love to keep in touch and reconnect on campus. In past years, we have hired several BASE applicants as Summer Associates and our full-time roles. Sometimes, those extra few months of case prep and conversations make all the difference!