Julie Coffman is a partner and our Chief Diversity Officer. She is the head of our global Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and Organization practices, as well as a leader in our global Healthcare practice.
Julie's organization work has been primarily around operating model redesigns to create alignment in organizational structure, processes and roles/accountabilities. Major recent engagements have included developing an improved operating model for a mid-sized pharmaceutical company, developing effective leadership team governance and behaviors for a newly public life sciences company, improving decision effectiveness for a healthcare IT & services player and developing the operating model infrastructure for population health management inside of a leading Academic Medical Center. She has also led the development of Bain Winning Culture and has extensive experience in leadership development and employee engagement.
Julie's healthcare experience has been focused on providers, payers and medical device companies. Her most recent work has revolved around helping providers and payers become better equipped to drive integrated care solutions for their marketplaces. This has included leading the creation of a new physician practice services business inside of an IDN, the corporate strategy refresh for a regional integrated delivery system, the operating model development for a leading Catholic healthcare enterprise to support their full reorganization and re-designing all aspects of a strategic joint venture for an academic medical center.
Internally, Julie is the founding chair of Bain's Global Women's Leadership Council, which is focused on increasing the number of women in Bain's leadership ranks. She is the co-author of several whitepapers on this topic, including Flexible Work Models: How to create sustainability in a 24/7 World and Charting the Course: Getting Women to the Top. Julie was also recognized as one of the 2011 Women Leaders in Consulting by Consulting Magazine.
Julie is quite active in her local community. She is on the board of the Northwestern University Settlement House and also chairs the board of the Rowe Elementary School (a charter school in Chicago). Julie serves on the Local School Council for Lane Tech College Prep and is a member of the Chicago Network of Women Business leaders.
Julie earned her BA from Wesleyan University in Mathematics/Economics with highest honors and her MBA at Stanford University, where she was recognized as an Arjay Miller scholar. Julie also earned her MA in Educational Administration.
- “Belonging, Support, and Trust: Racial Equity at Work,” Brief, fevereiro 23, 2021
- “Finding the Right Remedy for Poor Organizational Performance,” Brief, agosto 07, 2019
- “Winning with a Customer Focus in Medtech,” Forbes.com, outubro 04, 2017, Article
- “Why Leading Medtech Companies Are Putting Customers Ahead of Products,” Brief, setembro 07, 2017
- “Julie Coffman: Getting Women to the Top,” Video, junho 19, 2017
In the News
- “Bain & Company announces Julie Coffman as its first-ever Chief Diversity Officer,” Press release, fevereiro 19, 2021
- “Bain & Company announces three new leadership positions focused on Diversity, Equity & Inclusion,” Press release, agosto 26, 2020
- “Women Strive to Narrow a Confidence Gap,” Wall Street Journal, março 19, 2018
- “Four Ways to Spur Innovation at Your Managed Care Organization,” Managed Healthcare, março 06, 2018, Healthcare
- “Bundling equipment purchases saves providers money and improves care,” Modern Healthcare, setembro 07, 2017, Healthcare