Bain works with leading mining companies in all major geographies, from North and South America to Australia and South Africa, and with many of the world's largest steel, aluminum and other metals companies. Our experienced and passionate industry experts help you make critical decisions about corporate strategy, performance improvement, organization, and mergers and acquisitions.
What We Do
What We Do
Bain has a dedicated team of global metals and mining experts across developed and emerging economies. Our projects span a wide range of issues, including turnaround programs, operational improvement and mergers and acquisitions. Our experience spans the entire production cycle, from upstream mining and raw material inputs to primary metal production, fabrication and distribution.
We work with our clients on a wide range of business issues including:
- Corporate and business unit growth strategy. In the face of current industry pressures—shifting profit pools, commodity volatility, disparate regional production capacity and consumption trends, evolving technologies, innovation and regulation, and continued industry consolidation—we help our clients build sound strategies, explore expansion and adjacent business opportunities, define their core business, and develop a repeatable business model for enduring growth.
- Mergers and acquisitions. Growing bigger and more diverse has been and will remain a key driver of success in many metals and mining markets. Bain experts have extensive experience in due diligence, mergers and acquisitions planning, and integration to help mining and metals companies build scale and diversify their portfolios across multiple global regions, helping to stabilize price volatility and improve competitive position.
- Performance improvement. Metals and mining companies stand to realize significant throughput improvements and cost reductions by de-bottlenecking, improving equipment and labour productivity, optimizing manufacturing and shop floor operations, reducing process complexity, and by building a lean and flexible supply chain. Bain helps clients achieve near term productivity improvements and build the tools necessary for continuous improvement to sustain the results.
- Organization. Bain has a comprehensive tool kit to help companies address organizational design and decision difficulties and other organizational barriers to performance. And we work with clients to improve their performance problems and safety issues by focusing talent, leadership and culture efforts.
- IT and technological innovation. Information technology and process innovation is a key part of the mine, plant and manufacturing plant of the future. Our experts provide an objective, independent perspective to help companies realize the full potential of their IT resources and innovation investments in the broader context of our client’s business.
- Results Delivery®. Managing change effectively is a source of competitive advantage, yet few organizations do it well. Our approach to Results Delivery focuses on predicting, measuring and managing risk associated with the change from day one.