Brian Murphy is the head of our Asia-Pacific Energy & Natural Resources practice, based in Perth. The practice includes Oil & Gas (O&G), mining, utilities and alternative energy, chemicals and agribusiness.
Brian has more than 20 years of management consulting experience across industrials sectors, focusing on mining, energy, O&G and utilities. His client engagements have spanned technology, digital and innovation, strategy and planning, performance transformation and mergers & acquisitions (M&A).
Some of Brian’s recent engagements have included supporting a major energy company over multiple years to develop technology leadership, a >$2B multi-year productivity transformation of a resources company, country-level energy strategy and an end-to-end transformation of planning for a global mining company.
Brian originally joined our Sydney office in 1999 and has subsequently worked in our London, Munich and San Francisco offices. In addition to APAC, his client portfolio encompasses both EMEA and the Americas.
Outside of his client work, he has played significant leadership roles for Bain’s Global Training Programs, as well as people leadership roles in our Australian practices.
Brian earned a Ph.D. in Mathematics from the Australian National University and a B.Sc. in Pure Mathematics, with First Class Honours, from the University of Western Australia.
He is on the boards of Redkite, Australia's leading childhood cancer support organisation, and the West Australian Youth Jazz Orchestra.
- “Mining for the Future to Deliver on an ESG Agenda,” Brief, June 2022
- “Investing in New Growth Businesses in Energy and Natural Resources,” Energy & Natural Resources Report, June 2022, Report
- “Deliver Decarbonization with Visionary Pragmatism,” Energy & Natural Resources Report, June 2022, Report
- “How to Do Engine 2 for the Energy Transition,” Energy & Natural Resources Report, June 2022, Report
- “Accelerate Your Company’s Carbon Transition Journey,” Infographic, August 2021