Dr. Dirk Vater is a partner in Bain & Company's Frankfurt office. He leads the firm's Banking practice in Germany, Austria and Switzerland and coordinates the global Retail Banking practice. He is also active in Bain's global Digital practice.
Dirk has more than 20 years of management consulting experience in financial services institutions.
Dirk advises clients in major transformation programs and strategy development, especially in private customer and corporate client businesses.
Dirk holds particular expertise in international digitalization for major financial institutions. He works with clients to address topics such as their digital agenda and roadmap, digital customer approach and the "bank branch of the future".
Prior to joining Bain in 2004, he was a partner with another global consulting firm in Frankfurt.
Dirk is a graduate of the University of Mannheim, where he received a degree in Business Administration. He earned his PhD in business administration from the University of Chemnitz.
- “From Ugly Duckling to EnVogue: Commerzbank Luring Suitors,” Bloomberg, September 2017, Banking
- “Bain & Company's Vater on Digital Banking,” Bloomberg TV, May 2016, Banking
- “Banks Should Merge Physical and Digital Assets,” Business Day, December 2015, Article
- “You're going to need a better boat: 'Jaws' on branch transformation,” Credit Union Journal , August 2015
- “Further, Faster: Mastering Digital Reinvention in Retail Banking,” Brief, March 2015