Michael Jongeneel is a partner in Bain & Company's Amsterdam office. He is an expert in Bain's Financial Services practice.
Michael's experience ranges from strategy and M&A to large organizational transformations, including both lean and agile. His recent emphasis has been on corporate and business unit strategy with a focus on creating value and competitive advantage through sustainability as well as through technology and customer orientation.
Prior to joining Bain in 2015, Michael worked as an executive at Triodos Bank for eight years. Triodos Bank is a European retail bank that solely finances sustainable organizations with a positive environmental and/or social impact. Michael joined as their Chief Operating Officer and member of the Executive Board, and later became Managing (Statutory) Director of Triodos Investment Management, an active company in over 40 countries focused on renewable energy and microfinance activities. Before this, he worked for two other global management consulting firms.
Michael has a strong passion for sustainability and social impact. Outside of Bain, he is active as treasurer of an association consisting of 11 large NGOs ("Giro555"), including Unicef and the Red Cross. Previously, he was a member of the Supervisory Board at Zuwe Hospital and at Sustainalytics, a global responsible investment research firm. He was also a member of the Advisory Board of the Dutch Social Entrepreneur platform.
Michael holds a Master of Science in Information Engineering from Twente University.
- “How to Capture Financial Value in Sustainable Banking,” Webinar, December 2020
- “Higher Value, Lower Risk: ESG Finance Moves to the Banking Mainstream ,” Brief, November 2020
- “Banks Are Mining New Forms of Value with Sustainability,” Infographic, July 2020
- “From Hype to Hero: A Look at Artificial Intelligence in the Consumer Packaged Goods Industry,” Brief, October 2019
- “Transforming for Sustainability,” Snap Chart, October 2018