Kara Murphy is a partner in Bain & Company's Boston office. She has worked at Bain since 2000.
Kara has led more than 175 healthcare private equity diligences and has worked extensively with private-equity backed portfolio companies. Her private equity work spans the healthcare value chain of med tech, pharma, providers, payers, services and IT.
Kara also has worked with corporate clients across the healthcare value chain on issues ranging from M&A to growth strategy to performance improvement.
Kara earned her MBA from Harvard Business School. She is also a graduate of Tufts University, where she received a Bachelor of Science in Mathematics and Quantitative Economics.
- “Healthcare as National Defense,” Dry Powder: The Private Equity Podcast, May 2021, Podcast
- “Healthcare Heroics,” Dry Powder: The Private Equity Podcast, April 2021, Podcast
- “Deals Roll On: Healthcare Private Equity Withstands the Pandemic’s Rout,” Infographic, April 2021
- “Welcome Letter: Fertile Conditions for Healthcare Private Equity Investment,” Report, March 2021
- “Healthcare Private Equity Market 2020: The Year in Review,” Report, March 2021
In the News
- “Healthcare private equity buyouts posted record-setting volumes in 2020 after a year of unprecedented upheaval for global healthcare,” Press release, March 2021
- “HCIT M&A in the wake of COVID-19; Blackstone goes shopping,” PE Hub, March 2020, Healthcare
- “Column: Bain's Kara Murphy on the Amazon Effect, provider deal flow ,” Buyouts, April 2018, Healthcare
- “Early Move Into Behavioral Health Leads to 12-Times Return for Waud,” WSJ Pro, March 2018, Private Equity
- “Back to School: Bar rises for healthcare investors,” Buyouts, May 2017, Healthcare