Bain Org Navigator combines Bain's analytical approach with our deep expertise helping clients take their organizations to full potential. The diagnostic includes a quantitative assessment of organizational strengths and weaknesses—including performance benchmarking against a proprietary database of 1,700 companies—to provide executives and decision makers with a clear view on how to allocate scarce organizational resources to achieve superior business performance.
Bain Org Navigator is rooted in Bain research and analysis which demonstrates that business success hinges on six primary organizational outcomes. High-performing organizations are:
- aligned with the company's strategy;
- capable of executing strategy with the right talent, processes and tools;
- effective at making and executing critical decisions;
- adaptable in the face of rapid change;
- efficient in realizing the benefits of scale and scope; and
- engaged to go the extra mile.
The first three outcomes (aligned, capable and effective) serve as the foundation of strong business performance. The last three (adaptable, efficient and engaged) serve as accelerators, giving companies a true competitive edge provided they put in place a solid foundation. At the highest level, our analysis suggests that companies ranking in the top quintile of all six outcomes are three times as likely to be a business performance leader than the average company.
The assessment is designed to set the scene for executives to understand and address three key questions:
- Do we have big gaps in our foundation? Sustained high performance entails a solid foundation across three of the core outcomes: aligned, capable and effective. Very few business performance leaders rank below average on these foundational elements.
- How can we eliminate our liabilities? Ranking in the bottom quintile in even one or two outcomes more than halves a company's odds of attaining top business performance.
- How can we build on our strengths? The more outcomes that rank in the top quintile, the higher the likelihood of superior business performance.
Behind our six outcomes, we have categorized 26 separate organizational disciplines that underpin outcome performance. These disciplines enable executives to focus on the most critical elements impacting outcome performance.