We help software companies make the right moves to win in a dynamic and increasingly competitive environment. We bring an integrated set of capabilities to the industry, spanning M&A, product strategy, go-to-market, change management and much more. And we tailor these best-in-class solutions to meet the needs of all types of software companies: enterprise and consumer, mature on-premise and fast-growing SaaS vendors, cloud and infrastructure providers, private equity firms, and non-software companies looking to enhance their current offerings with data and software layers.
Technology Report 2020: Taming the Flux
Bain’s inaugural report on the state of the industry examines how companies are investing to increase resilience and accelerate growth.Learn more
What We Do
What We Do
We bring a comprehensive strategic approach to the full range of value-creation levers available to software businesses. We have worked with 8 of the top 10 packaged software vendors, 8 of the top 10 infrastructure software developers, 5 of the top 7 applications development and deployment leaders, and almost every top-tier private equity fund focused on software, both in the US and Europe. We have also worked with the software divisions of all the leading US tech majors in support of their software strategies and operations.
Our global software consulting team has deep expertise in the most important issues facing software companies today, with offerings including:
- Our Software Value-Creation playbook, a detailed methodology that will help your company join the elite ranks of those that consistently achieve the Rule of 40 measure of performance
- For mid-market firms transitioning to SaaS models or trying to boost growth and solve problems, our SaaS Value Accelerator offers custom-tailored solutions, delivered by a small and nimble team
- A field-tested approach for business model transformation, including hardware to software, on-premises to SaaS, and overall business performance transformation
- An unparalleled database to support channel partner optimization, helping you prioritize your most critical sales relationships, recruit and develop new strategic partners, and gauge the devotion of your channel partners relative to their other clients.
- Pragmatic, value-driven thought leadership in cloud computing, working with established and next-generation technology companies to integrate cloud opportunities into product development and go-to-market strategies, M&A opportunities and investment decisions
- Industry-leading expertise in software private equity investing, enabling us to help PE firms craft portfolio strategies that identify and seize the most promising software opportunities
- Unmatched M&A capabilities, from due diligence and post-merger integration to divestitures, spin-offs, joint ventures and alliances
These offerings are enhanced by our partnership with OPEXEngine, which combines our software consulting expertise and tailored approach with OPEXEngine’s industry-leading proprietary benchmarking platform. The unique insights created by our custom benchmarking approach help our software clients:
- Accelerate the decisions needed to design a transformation strategy, optimize a product portfolio, drive engineering efficiency or improve go-to-market performance
- Build stronger M&A and private equity outcomes through better-informed due diligence and post-acquisition operational improvements
- Manage a portfolio of software businesses informed by like-for-like, high-impact metrics