Gerard du Toit is a partner in Bain & Company’s Boston office. He leads Bain’s global Customer Experience capabilities, as well as the Banking and Payments sector of Bain's Financial Services practice in North America.
He has worked with industry leaders around the globe to help them transform their businesses to reliably deliver delightful customer experiences, with better outcomes for customers, employees and shareholders. This involves developing a prioritized business and technology roadmap, simplifying and digitizing end-to-end experiences, fostering a customer-centric culture, and changing the operating model to drive a faster pace of change.
Gerard is also the lead author of Bain’s annual Customer Loyalty in Retail Banking report, which has tracked trends in bank customer loyalty, behavior and usage across 25+ countries since 2010. He has written numerous other publications and is regularly quoted in the global media.
Gerard is the former Chairman of Bain’s Worldwide Compensation & Promotion Committee and served on Bain’s Board of Directors. Early in his career he spent two years helping to launch Bain’s office in South Africa, returning to Boston in 1997.
Prior to joining Bain in 1990, Gerard was involved in the successful start-up of a credit union, serving on the board and as the COO and then CFO.
He earned his BS in economics, magna cum laude, from the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School of Business, and received an MBA with Honors from the Harvard Business School.
- “Customer Experience Tools and Trends 2018,” Brief, August 2018
- “Experience Is the New Product; Here's How to Manage It,” Brief, June 2018
- “Firing Up the Customer Experience Factory,” Brief, June 2018
- “Why Schwab’s CEO Bets You Won’t Be Trading Stocks on Amazon,” Bloomberg, April 2018, Banking
- “Video: You May Soon Have a Checking Account With Amazon,” The Street, March 2018, Banking