Bain & Company is a global consultancy that helps the world’s most ambitious change-makers define the future. Across 65 cities in 40 countries, we work alongside our clients as one team with a shared ambition to achieve extraordinary results, outperform the competition, and redefine industries. We complement our tailored, integrated expertise with a vibrant ecosystem of digital innovators to deliver better, faster, and more enduring outcomes. Our 10-year commitment to invest more than $1 billion in pro bono services brings our talent, expertise, and insight to organizations tackling today’s urgent challenges in education, racial equity, social justice, economic development, and the environment. Since our founding in 1973, we have measured our success by the success of our clients, and we proudly maintain the highest level of client advocacy in the industry.
As a member of Bain's Next Generation Software Solutions (NGSS) team, the Engineer contributes to the development and maintenance of software products. They take a leading role in technical designs and execute coding tasks independently, ensuring high-quality deliverables. Additionally, they play a significant role in support and operations by identifying system defects, leading troubleshooting efforts, and supporting code deployments.
Core Development, Support, and Maintenance (80%):
- Coordinate with product teams to understand business needs, functional, and non-functional product requirements
- Participate in hands-on development of new software features and modules using a variety of tools and technologies spanning low code engineering platforms, data ingestion and cleansing, core web application development, analytics, visualizations, automation, integration, and much more
- Help deploy new builds and features to production environments
- Contribute to time and cost estimates of system enhancements, advise on trade-offs of features
- Help in the testing of application code, including writing unit test plans
- Work as a member of an Agile software development team with full participation in all team events and activities
- Support efforts to drive innovation through out-of-the-box thinking to solve critical business challenges and demands
- Participate on technical discovery, POCs, and innovation work streams to validate new tools, technologies, and designs
- Investigate and keep up-to-date on emerging and cutting-edge data technologies and trends, lead knowledge sharing
- Support team in recruiting activities (resume scanning, interviews, etc.)
Education and Work Experience:
- Associate's/Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
- 2-5 years of experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Hands-on experience with relational database management systems (e.g., SQL Server, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle) and SQL skills (DML & DDL)
- Relational data modelling and design skills (tables, PK/FK, constraints/indexes)
- Experience working with ETL/ELT data pipelines.
- Experience creating stored procedures, views, and user defined functions.
- Ability to write optimized complex SQL.
- Experience working with Snowflake and/or other modern data platform is preferred.
- Data wrangling experience using python is preferred.
- Developing data products and solutions
- Demonstrated knowledge of Agile software development and processes
- Strong performance in prior software development positions
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong communication and presentation skills, documenting complex data flows and processes
- Results-driven, analytical, and creative thinker, self-motivated and proactive
- Results focused, keeping an eye on the overall outcome and desired impact
- Strong interpersonal skills, able to interface across many areas and levels of Bain
- Entrepreneurial spirit, willingness to think outside the box to try new things