Caso di Studio
A global oilfield services provider, OFS Co*, acquired a competitor to expand its product offerings, but didn't know how much potential revenue growth was at stake, what geographies and customers to focus on and how to go to market.
The initial investment bank deal estimates of revenue synergies were conservative and unsophisticated.
We worked with the client team to prioritize where to capture business growth synergies and to manage the integration.
Our approach began with a much deeper look at the relationships among product lines, local market shares and country-specific market dynamics:
Market share analysis:
- We collected market share data by country from both companies.
- Our initial analysis compared shares in closely related product lines, we then calculated the value of "closing the gap."
- Additional analysis identified the local relevance of bundling and the potential for share growth.
Local expert interviews:
- We conducted in-depth interviews with local business developers and sales managers, which effectively kept our analysis in check with what was happening on the ground.
We shared our final recommendations with country and region leaders for validation and to work together to plan the next steps.
After the vetting process, company leadership approved growth targets and they were baked into plans. We worked with leadership to develop detailed synergy targets—by country, product line, and source of growth (OFS Co or target).
Our recommendations included a list of five countries to focus commercialization efforts on, along with growth targets for country and region leadership.
The opportunities identified were more than two times the bank's initial estimates.
The market rewarded the highly successful integration. OFS Co market capitalization has expanded by nearly 70 percent, outpacing competitors and indexes.
* We take our clients' confidentiality seriously. While we've changed their names, the results are real.