- Healthcare Payer Co* was an integrated health system operating in the Eastern part of the US (before US healthcare reform)
- Client had low market share and its portfolio was heavily weighted towards fully-funded HMO and employer-based business, both of which were declining market segments
- Healthcare Payer Co faced declining membership and market share in a local, scale-based business
- Company was losing relevance in the region
The client asked Bain to develop full potential plan grounded in analysis of the core business versus adjacencies:
Bain evaluated initial focus areas based on market attractiveness and client likelihood of success:
Bain developed a growth strategy that would refocus the company on its core business:
* We take our clients' confidentiality seriously. While we've changed their names, the results are real.